Tuesday, October 18, 2016

On Location: Little Manhattan

Little Manhattan is an unbearably cute film about young love in New York City. It stars a pre-Peeta Bread/Lego Head, ridiculously adorable young Josh Hutcherson, Charlie Ray, Cynthia Nixon, Bradley Whitford and Willie Garson.



I first heard about the film via Entertainment Tonight (is that show still on?) because Sex and the City was coming to an end and they were covering a sort of "what's next for the girls" story, which included this film for Cynthia Nixon. After that I never heard about it again. That is until I was on a flight and this was one of the movies available to watch on the long haul. I had just gotten my "Italian-style" airplane food and settled in for two cute hours. 

[x]

Most of the film takes place where Gabe (Hutcherson) and Rosemary (Ray) live, the Upper West Side, but there are a few other locations that pop up such as The Carlyle or the Loeb Boathouse. I'm not exactly in the financial position to explore those locations, so I went a little more budget friendly.

My first stop was Faicco's Italian Specialties (not to be confused with Faicco's Pork Store in Brooklyn). In the film, Gabe is trying to find Rosemary's phone number in the phone book (is that another thing that still exists? Would kids, or even young adults, know how to use one?) and calls a few wrong numbers including Faicco's. I've been here a few times before (one of those visits was recapped in my Greenwich Village Food Tour post), but I couldn't pass up another opportunity to eat some delicious sandwiches. I went with one of the daily specials, which was basically a whole lotta meat, cheese and sun dried tomatoes. They are most famous for their rice balls and if you decide to get a sandwich, plan to share or have lots of leftovers. 

In the Film



In 2016





My second stop was the West Side Restaurant which was featured towards the end of the film. Because of where I live and work I travel through the Upper West Side a lot and am sort of embarrassed to admit that the first time I saw this place in real life I knew exactly where I had seen it before (another example). Just like Faicco's, I've been here a few times and it never disappoints. It's a little pricey for a diner, but the portions are huge and the service has always been great. This time around I got the tuna melt, but their patty melt is delicious as well. 

In the Film



In 2016






My last stop was Septuagesimo Uno (latin for 71, the street it is located on), a park just a few blocks away from the West Side Restaurant. In the film, on their way back from scouting out apartments and before being confronted by bullies, Gabe and Rosemarie stop by this tiny park.

In the Film



In 2016

Just a few months ago the park was pretty desolate, with broken benches and barely any plants with signs asking visitors to bring water whenever they can. A few weeks ago it was under construction and I actually took some pictures but they seemed to have disappeared from my camera. The next time I came here all traces of construction were gone, so between my missing pictures and supposedly quick construction, I questioned my sanity. What is now there is lots of greenery, plenty of benches and a few blossoming flowers that will soon be disappearing as winter approaches but will hopefully come back once Spring rolls around. 






I've made a handy dandy Google Map with the above locations along with a few more that were featured in the film such as The Carlyle, the Loeb Boathouse and the Intrepid. You can check it out by clicking the image below:


No comments:

Post a Comment